Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

Graphing Tool
From: Tony Kava <securityfocus () pottcounty com>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 10:04:07 -0600

Hi.

I'm looking for a command-line utility to run on a Linux platform that can
generate some line or bar graphs based on basic data such as number of junk
e-mail messages rejected, etc.  I do use MRTG to monitor network devices in
5 minute intervals, but I'm interested in automatically generating some
graphs based on daily totals instead of constant gauge readings.  Perhaps I
can adjust interval settings for MRTG (or RRDTOOL) to accomplish this.

I don't need anything to generate the data, I can script that, but I'm
interested in what others are using to generate graphs like this.  For
example I may want to have a graph showing total junk messages rejected over
the past seven days with one bar (or line point) for each day.  This is
generally a job for a spreadsheet (i.e. Excel), but I want to automate this
so I can view the output on a web interface.

What tools are people using to generate such graphs?

Thanks.

--
Tony Kava
Senior Network Administrator

Free 30-day trial: firewall with virus/spam protection, URL filtering, VPN,
wireless security

Protect your network against hackers, viruses, spam and other risks with Astaro
Security Linux, the comprehensive security solution that combines six
applications in one software solution for ease of use and lower total cost of
ownership.

Download your free trial at
http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/Astaro_security-basics_040301