Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

socks 5
From: "Kenzo" <kenzo_chin () hotmail com>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 11:49:52 -0600

We have websense internet filter working with our Pix firewall to monitor
web traffic.
Today I noticed an attempted connection from our webserver to an external IP
address using the socks 5 protocol.
googling around I found out that socks 5 is used for some kind of remote
access or authentication.
I asked our webmaster and he has no Id what the remote IP address is.
what could it be? did someone manage to own our box and using socks to
bypass our firewall?
Can anyone tell me more about socks?

Thanks.

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off
any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less
to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors.
Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field
pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills
of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization.
Visit us at:
http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html