Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Out-of-band management network -more secure?
From: "Shawn Jackson" <sjackson () horizonusa com>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 09:08:46 -0800

Can someone tell me the main reason for implementing
OOB? Any security implications I should be aware of?

I've personally used out-of-band management for radio/wireless systems,
works just fine and keeps management out of the customer data steams,
keeping things secure. I've also used Lights-Out (Compaq/HP Management)
in a out-of-band fission by putting them on their own network.

The only downfall is sometimes it can be more of a hassle working with
it.
Like if your offsite, or VPN'ed in, getting to your OOB network can be a
pain.

Shawn Jackson
Systems Administrator
Horizon USA
1190 Trademark Dr #107
Reno NV 89521

www.horizonusa.com
Email: sjackson () horizonusa com
Phone: (775) 858-2338
       (800) 325-1199 x338

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off
any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less
to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors.
Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field
pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills
of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization.
Visit us at:
http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html