Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Out-of-band management network -more secure?
From: "Burton M. Strauss III" <BStrauss () acm org>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 11:28:33 -0600

Remember, you are only as secure as the weakest link.

Plus:

Keeps all of the management traffic out of the network and thus - if
properly configured - invisible to mortals (what they can't see isn't going
to spark interest).
Keeps the management traffic (say your netFlow data) from eating bandwidth.

Minus:

More complex to implement and maintain.
Double... wiring, nics, routers, etc - more stuff to buy, more stuff to
fail, more stuff to support/maintain.

The fallacy of OOB is that it makes you secure.  It doesn't - in fact, it's
a more attractive target to attack because there's more 'good stuff' out
there.  It may also be a softer target because if you think it's secure you
may not be keeping those hosts patched and updated.

-----Burton