Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

The fallacy of analogies - Enough with throwing rocks at your windows!
From: "Burton M. Strauss III" <BStrauss () acm org>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 11:28:35 -0600

a.nal.o.gy n. pl. a.nal.o.gies

1 a. Similarity in some respects between things that are otherwise
dissimilar.
  b. A comparison based on such similarity. See Synonyms at likeness.

2. Biology. Correspondence in function or position between organs of
dissimilar evolutionary origin or structure.

3. A form of logical inference or an instance of it, based on the assumption
that if two things are known to be alike in some respects, then they must be
alike in other respects.

4. Linguistics. The process by which words or morphemes are re-formed or
created on the model of existing grammatical patterns in a language, often
leading to greater regularity in paradigms, as evidenced by helped replacing
holp and holpen as the past tense and past participle of help on the model
of verbs such as yelp, yelped, yelped.

Re-read #3.  "...based on the assumption that if two things are known to be
alike in some respects, then they must be alike in other respects."

If an analogy is fallacious, no amount of twisting it around is going to
make it true.

-----Burton

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off
any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less
to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors.
Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field
pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills
of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization.
Visit us at:
http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html