Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Wireless access
From: "Peter Martin" <Peter.Martin () macquarie com>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 16:45:20 +1100

Most, if not all wireless access points and/or routers will have
built-in MAC access control. Usually very simple - just turn it on and
add the addresses you wish to allow access.

The problem is, like you said, that it is very easy to spoof a MAC
address and get around this security. However, for home users, setting
an SSID (and NOT something recognisable like "John Smith Home Internet
Share"), turning on WEP (or WPA if the devices support it) encryption
with a non-easily guessed password, and setting MAC access control;
should be more then enough for a user to feel safe.

Regards,
Peter Martin
Network Engineer