Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Public Web server Help
From: "Shawn Jackson" <sjackson () horizonusa com>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 08:56:29 -0800

SJ> Does anyone know of any of have any document on how to
lock users in
SJ> their home directories using SSH? In the UNIX/Telnet
world there was
SJ> a way, I just don't know if it migrated to the Linux world.

Why? They won't be able to access other user's directories
nor do any harm to a properly configured system.

True, other users home directories are protected, but IMHO you can never
be to careful. Even though they may not be able to damage the system
they can poke around. Locking them in the home will (hopefully) mitigate
the risk of them trying exploits or rootkits.

I've used a commercial package for web-based shared server management
for Linux/FreeBSD called cPanel WHM http://www.cpanel.net/ It seems
to be overpriced, but I have no doubts in the existence of cheaper
and/or open-source management products.

I used a program called Pleask (or something like that) a *long* time
ago. I'm not really interesting in giving them a Control Panel, mainly
because I don't want to buy one. Basically all I really want is to get
the system as secure/stable as possible so I don't have to worry about
it. My 2K box that hosted them before had uptime of over 4 9's with both
IIS and Exchange, but took some hand-holding. Because this is at my own
house and I do have a fairly large pipe I want to keep my mind at ease.

Shawn Jackson
Systems Administrator
Horizon USA
1190 Trademark Dr #107
Reno NV 89521

www.horizonusa.com
Email: sjackson () horizonusa com
Phone: (775) 858-2338
       (800) 325-1199 x338

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off
any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less
to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors.
Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field
pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills
of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization.
Visit us at:
http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html