Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Public Web server Help
From: "Shawn Jackson" <sjackson () horizonusa com>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 09:20:39 -0800

OK this probably isn't over help full but I seen to think
that CHROOT may help lock users in.

Please feel free to let me know if I'm talking crap ;)

I heard chroot jail from a number of people. My past experiences with
chroot jails (like for Amavisd/Postfix) have been that I need to make a
copy of the file system (/bin, /sbin, /usr/bin...) in the chroot'ed jail
for the program to access those files.

Will a SSHd chroot jail work differently then a 'normal' chroot jail? I
haven't set up the coffee IV yet, so this might not be clicking in my
mind :-).

Shawn Jackson
Systems Administrator
Horizon USA
1190 Trademark Dr #107
Reno NV 89521

www.horizonusa.com
Email: sjackson () horizonusa com
Phone: (775) 858-2338
       (800) 325-1199 x338

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off
any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less
to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors.
Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field
pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills
of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization.
Visit us at:
http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html