Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Question about shared storage arrays
From: Javier Zayas <javier_zayas () cuc claremont edu>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 10:06:46 -0800

Melissa,

I actually have had some experience with this, and I also used to resell
such technology. The short of it is, as long as you ensure that LUN Masking
is being done and no other hosts are connecting your disks/file systems to
your machine, you will be perfectly fine. In a Unix environment, you can
setup HA systems to share the same LUNs. In a Windows environment, LUN
masking becomes vitally important as Windows by default tries to take over
every disk it sees at bootup. This becomes even more dangerous in a mixed
Unix/Windows environment. If you have any specific questions, please don't
be afraid to ask, you can even email them direct and then summarize for the
list later.

Javier Zayas
System Administrator
x73143