Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: book for a newbie...?
From: "Murad Talukdar" <talukdar_m () subway com>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 10:40:52 +1000

Wow, you have some reading to do ;)

How about telling everybody about the network, how it >is used, the
equipment, and the security level needed.

Matt

Thanks Matt.
Our network is an NT4 single domain affair. The server is basically a
file/print server and shares out the net connection too. We assign ip's
manually, it's still small enough to do that without getting a headache.
At the perimeter we have a Netgear FVS 318 router which is also the
firewall. On the outside we have the adsl router, which is soon to be
replaced when we upgrade our connection to a dedicated ethernet link.

Inside we have two Cisco 2950 switches daisy chained together, from there
our workstations and printers and docking stations join the network.

I've done a few scans with shieldsup to check basic ports and our firewall
is quite strict...we passed and it appeared that we are quite secure.
'Appeared' to me may be nothing of the sort to experts of course!

The two most important things about the internet link is that our
mail(server is in the states) has to come and go(like everyone else!) and
our connection to citrix metaframe servers in the states. These are critical
to the running of our business. I want them to be free flowing but
secure...if that's possible!

Murad