Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: RE: Masters program for Information Security?
From: swee yin lee <sweeyin.lee () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 08:33:41 +0800

May i know which one is better for further study MSc of IT/Security
either distance education or go to the university facing with lecturer
and students?
Any idea? Thanks.

On 6/29/05, Rocky Heckman <rocky.he () g-wizinnovations com> wrote:
(sorry if this is a dupe, had mail probs)

There is also Charles Sturt University out of Australia. (Although they do
the whole thing via distance education.). I thought I'd let you know what
was out there.  They have two Masters of Information Technology Security
degrees. One is focused on a management area and the other on development.
The main drawing point for them is that 5 of the 12 courses you take, are
the Microsoft Curriculum courses to obtain an MCSE, or MCSD. So essentially
1/2 the course is obtaining one of these certifications.  If you have a
current one, or choose to just take the exams on your own, you can knock off
1/2 the course.

I'm not a big fan of this system, you don't learn a whole lot that you can't
get from reading self-study guides. But, you get a Masters with "Security"
in the title and an MCSE/MCSD to boot.

If you're still interested http://www.csu.edu.au/

You may find that there are several other Universities that offer their
regular degrees through distance education.  I am doing a Masters in
Computer Science by Research (Masters Thesis). This way, I can tailor my
Masters to security. My Thesis is on attack patterns/models and threat
modelling. It counts.

Just something to think about.

RH

Rocky Heckman