Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

Can we recover data from corrupted excel file
From: "Amit shrma" <sharmaamit () eml cc>
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 16:51:10 +0530

Dear all,

*** Need Help ***

All of my xls files have been corrupted by w32.chir.b virus. Basically
what this virus do is stated just below.

" On the first day of each month, W32.Chir.B () mm attempts to overwrite
the first 4660 bytes of files that have .adc, r.db, .doc, and .xls
extensions in all folders and subfolders. " quoted at symantec.com.

Now whenever i open my xls files, im getting junk characters all over.
Is it possible to truncate those 4660 bytes that have been appended by
chir virus & in result obtain an excel file in some readable format ?

Im attaching an corrupted excel file for all you guys, this is of office
2000/xp format.

Pls suggest what to do.

Also to mention im using Symantec corporate edition 8.

The two files are uploaded & available at the link below :

1. http://www.savefile.com/files/4373139  (rm05-05l.xls)
2. http://www.savefile.com/files/1145870  (rm05-05n.xls)

These files are not virus & are not even affected with virus but they
are already corrupted by the virus mentioned above.

Thanks
Amit Sharma, CCNA
Center Head
I.T.