Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Sonicwall
From: "Gaddis, Jeremy L." <jeremy () linuxwiz net>
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2006 01:46:21 -0500

Dennis Rogers wrote:
My request to list members is: could you please share your experience of Sonic wall in terms of effectiveness of AV, IPS/IDS, content filtering services.
We ran Sonic Wall where I work for about 1 year. It worked well but started crashing a lot on us. Turned out that the product we were sold was under powered for our network. The cost of the proper unit was very high. The best solution we found was Dan's Guardian. While it takes more manpower to setup and slightly more to maintain, the cost savings were WELL worth it.

I have a customer (public library) who used to have a TZ170 to do content-filtering (see CIPA). After numerous issues with it, it finally just outright died. Now, a small PC running IPCop with DansGuardian is doing the same job, doing it better, and costing them thousands less in the long run.

YMMV,
-j

--
Jeremy L. Gaddis, GCWN, Linux+, Network+
LinuxWiz Consulting

EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE
The Norwich University program offers unparalleled Infosec management education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience. Tailor your education to your own professional goals with degree customizations including Emergency Management, Business Continuity Planning, Computer Emergency Response Teams, and Digital Investigations.
http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus