Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

High School Cyber Defense Competiton
From: f_kenisky () earthlink net
Date: 13 Feb 2006 20:13:35 -0000

The very first of it's kind hosted by UTSA and Dr. Greg White.  What is the High School Cyber Defense Competition you
ask?  Before I answer that question I feel it's necessary to note who is Dr. Greg White.

Dr. White is a Professor and what I would refer to as a weekend warrior.  He's a Colonel in Air Force who started a
initiative called "Dark Screen" a few years ago which is an on going project to establish metropolitan areas with a
disaster recovery plan for IT.

Dr. White also spearheaded the CDC two years ago at the collegiate level, which has now become a National competition.

"The purpose of the competition, according to Dr. Gregory B. White, Director of the Center for Infrastructure Assurance
and Security, is to encourage students to learn more about computer security and information assurance.  With the
increasing dependence in society on computer systems and networks, the importance of having trained individuals who can
secure these essential assets is growing continually.   Dr. White hoped that the studentsÂ’ experience at the
competition sparks a lifelong interest in security.  He also believed that preparing for the competition enhanced their
understanding of security concepts.  The competition was designed to test studentsÂ’ and teamsÂ’ ability to identify
record and fix security problems in the given system and/or network."

Taken from a press release written by Cadet Staff Sergeant Meghan Mangus

Next year he said he would like to expand this to include other areas of security to provide more competition.  One
idea is individual and team forensics tasks.  I'm working on that idea.  Problem is I have the idea but no idea how to
get started.  I guess that's the hard part.

If anyone within the Texas area has any type of relationship with high schools in this area I encourage you to pass
this along to them.  And encourage the kids to get involved with this.

One very smart young man walked away with $1,000 this weekend. This is nothing to sneeze at for a 17 year old who just
got his drivers license.

If you'd like more information to pass along to your school or if you're outside of Texas and are drooling and just
want to know more or if you're a sponsor with lots of money who would like to help sponsor this event next year go to
the following web site and contact them yourself.

http://www.utsa.edu/cias/HSCDC/index.html

Information Security takes an active approach. I think Dr. White has got the best non downloadable security tool ever
created.  This was an exciting weekend because it was very managable.  Next year I'm afraid it will grow 4 times.  And
the next year 4 to 6 times that to the point of preliminaries.

EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE
The Norwich University program offers unparalleled Infosec management
education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience.
Tailor your education to your own professional goals with degree
customizations including Emergency Management, Business Continuity Planning,
Computer Emergency Response Teams, and Digital Investigations.

http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus