Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Down with DHCP!!!!
From: "Steve Fletcher" <safletcher () insightbb com>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 23:01:40 -0600

While I fully understand why you would consider disabling DHCP, I see one
major problem with number 2 below.  Just using static addresses will not
keep users from bringing in their own equipment.  If a user knows much, they
can determine the proper IP addresses for the network and assign a static
address.  So, you in the end, you have added more of a workload on the
network staff, but you really have not done much for security.

I agree with the idea of inventorying, equipment, but trying to manually
inventory each machine is going to be a nightmare for a network of that
size.  I would recommend something to automatically inventory all of the
equipment.  Other automated tools could be used to ensure all machines are
fully patched and secured.

The idea of working smarter, not harder, definitely applies in a situation
like this.

Hope this helps.

Steve Fletcher
MCSE (NT4/Win2k), MCSE: Security (Win2k), HP Master ASE, CCNA, Security+
Email:  safletcher () insightbb com