Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Down with DHCP!!!!
From: "Brian Loe" <knobdy () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 08:44:39 -0600

I would make jokes about your last comment, but I'm too weirded out by
this whole thread to even try. The company I work for, which is hardly
at the forefront of security, can tell you when a new machine is added
to the network, the instant it is added. Very soon, we'll be
implementing port security on all of our switches and a centralized
log server to gather data from every device on our network.

Your reasons for wanting to dump DHCP are as flawed as the original
poster's reasoning. Right now I can log into a FREE piece of software
I have implemented here and tell you what MAC address had which IP
address - for any period of time going back 2 weeks (and I could
configure it to keep the records longer). Eventually everything will
be getting logged in such a way that I'll be able to tell you when an
"incident" occured, on what network, via which MAC address on which
port of which switch...etc. I will be doing all of this with freely
available, open source code that you could download and install right
now...if you were in a position to do so.