Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Where to start?
From: dallas jordan <dallas.jordan () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 19:51:15 -0500

I think the Security+ would be a good start.  It has a lot of the same
material that the CISSP has, but a bit more technical.  This was the
first security cert I got and I think it was definitely a good
stepping stone and introduction to the material.  I used this book to
study for it:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0764525999/qid=1136594591/sr=1-20/ref=sr_1_20/104-7835035-8152734?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

It was a good book and I studied up further on any topic I didnt fully
understand.  For the CISSP, you'll need like 4 years of relevant
experience to sit for the exam unless you become just an associate of
ISC until you meet that requirement.  I also think any course from
SANS would definitely be good to take, but they tend to be pretty
expensive for study materials.  As for the CEH cert, I havent really
heard many good things about it.  It has been said that some employers
tend to shy away fromt he "hacker" term in the title.  The best advice
is to just read and read and read and practice on your own.  Set up a
network at home and actually do the stuff you're reading about.
There's no substituition for real experience.  Hope that helps some.