Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Where to start?
From: "Clement Dupuis" <cdupuis () cccure org>
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2006 11:49:43 -0500

Good day,

I would not say that YOU NEED to have certifications but as you have
mentioned they might allow you to make the first round of selection when
someone from Human Resource look at a stack of resume and retain only the
one that have some specific keywords or certs they are lookking for.  Having
only a Diploma and a series of certification might not prove anything to
someone who has diploma and experience, however the word we live in has been
driven by certifications and people who hire other people do look up what
certification you have.

Which way to go is often time driven by your learning ability.  Some people
learn best on their own, however they demonstrate DISCIPLINE and they can
stick to a harsh study pace and plan they have imposed on themselves.  Other
people constantly procrastinate and cannot achieve certification on their
own, they are better off taking formal training that will allow them to
quickly reach their goal.  You have to pick which style works best for you.

As far as books are concerned: you will need them regardless if you take the
self study route or formal training.  There are some books that are better
than other for specific certifications, I would recommend you visit some of
the well known forums or web sites that cater to the specific
certifications.

For the CISSP certification, I would recommend you take a look at
www.cccure.org, you will find free quizzes, free study guides, book reviews,
recommended books, forums discussing all aspects of becoming a CISSP and a
lot more.  It is one of the leading site if you seriously consider becoming
a CISSP.

For the CEH certification, do visit the official web site of
www.eccouncil.org as a start.  You could also visit
www.professionalsecuritytesters.org for some information.

As far as commercial training, there are plenty to pick from.  SANS has some
good training they offer on foundation classes related to security of
specific areas.  There are vendors such as Vigilar (www.vigilar.com) who
offers a large selection of security related classes as well.

Last but not least: Google   It is a good friend that will allow you to find
great resources for most of the certs you wish to take.

Best of luck in your studies

Take care

Clement