Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: question: Linksys 54G WAP - SSID name change issue
From: "Thompson, Chris (C.L.)" <cthomp17 () ford com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 16:16:24 -0500

This seems a bit off-topic for this group, but I will try to help...

I had a similar problem with my WRTG54G, when I was letting my client
devices calculate the key. An ethereal capture from my laptop showed
that the problem was in authentication, so I manually entered the key
instead of allowing the devices to calculate it through the hash.
Everything cleared right up, and I now have 3 different brand 802.11B-G
devices talking on my network.
It would appear that the drivers for my PCMCIA cards weren't 100%
compatible with the Linksys router when calculating the key.
The easy way to do it is to copy and paste the hex code for key number 1
from the router to your troubled client, and it will probably settle
down.

Chris Thompson