Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Wake-On-LAN security
From: Chris Largret <largret () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2006 14:54:49 -0700

On Fri, 2006-07-07 at 11:59 +0200, Hylton Conacher(ZR1HPC) wrote:
What command or procedure could be used by a hacker coming through my
ADSL connection into the switch to wake up machines plugged into the
switch that have Wake-On-LAN nics?

How could I prevent the machines from waking up, besides turning off the
switch or unplugging the network cable?

I'm not familiar with the process of remotely turning on computers over
the LAN (never had the need to), but I have had the ability to
enable/disable it in most of my system BIOSs. That would be the first
place to check.

--
Chris Largret <http://www.largret.com>

Hacking, like any art, will take years of dedicated study and
practice to master. We can't teach you to hack. But we can teach you
what we've learned so far. Our courses are honest, real, technical
and practical. SensePost willl be at Black Hat Vegas in July. To see
what we're about, visit us at:

http://www.sensepost.com/training.html