Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: List of Full Disc Encryption products
From: Ow Mun Heng <Ow.Mun.Heng () wdc com>
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 12:35:44 -0700

On Wed, 2006-07-05 at 15:48 -0700, Saqib Ali wrote:
I think you missed out Truecrypt which is by far (AFAIK) the only cross
platform program that works in both Window
and the Linux platforms. (and it's open source to boot as well) which is
a very important consideration when it comes to security products.

I am aware of Truecrypt. However it is a file/partition encryption
utility and NOT a full disc encryption utilitiy, which is the main
focus of the list that I compiled.

My Bad.
Clarification needed.

1. Safe to only encrypt "particular folders/data files"
2. Must Encrypt everything and the kitchen sink?

I don't work with such sensitive files so I only choose #1. I believe
that for those in the MIlitary or... will need option #2 so that nothing
is left to chance.

Hacking, like any art, will take years of dedicated study and
practice to master. We can't teach you to hack. But we can teach you
what we've learned so far. Our courses are honest, real, technical
and practical. SensePost willl be at Black Hat Vegas in July. To see
what we're about, visit us at:

http://www.sensepost.com/training.html