Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: All Permissions removed from folders
From: Mathew Benwell <mjbenny () internode on net>
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 09:44:18 +0930

Hi Maury,
As administrator you can take ownership of the files/folders. This can be done through the Security tab on the file/folder properties box. Click on advanced then the Owner tab. Select 'administrator' as the owner and click apply/ok. Once you have changed ownership of the files/folders you will be able to set permissions accordingly. If you want to replace the owner on all subfolders/files there is an 'replace owner on all sub folders' option that you can use.

Changing ownership will effect the original owners permissions on the file/folder. You may also want to look out for things like file folder encryption/compression if it is being used. It could be effected by the change in ownership

Hope that helps you

Cheers
Mat

Maury A. Swartz wrote:

One of my customers has managed to remove all permissions and groups from
several folders on his Windows 2000 small Business Server. Is there any way
I can restore the Administrator priviliges to these folders? Are there any
tools that might be of help?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Maury

Hacking, like any art, will take years of dedicated study and practice to master. We can't teach you to hack. But we can teach you what we've learned so far. Our courses are honest, real, technical and practical. SensePost willl be at Black Hat Vegas in July. To see what we're about, visit us at:
http://www.sensepost.com/training.html