Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Definition of 'Geographically independent' in terms of offsite backup storage
From: "Alexander Bolante" <alexander.bolante () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 15:08:39 -0800

It always comes down to $$$...

'Geographically independent' from my experience refers to offsite data
being stored at least across state lines, e.g. Iron Mountain in
Chicago, to some secure offsite company. This is what I would lean
towards as a recommended solution. But again, cost is the determining
factor.

On a personal note..

A buddy of mine just finished a DR backup/recovery contract
post-Hurricane Katrina for a company based in the New Orleans area.
Unfortunately, their backup sites were local sites. Low cost savings,
but they ended up paying for it after the hurricane.

Hope that helps. Good luck.