Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Need for recommendation for setting up a virtual lab (knoppix)?
From: "Caleb Stephenson" <caleb.stephenson () configuresoft com>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 08:28:29 -0700

I agree it is completely possible to copy a live CD image to the HDD for a minimal OS; however I have never attempted
to get one to work with VMware. Personally I use Slackware 10 and use the expert install option, however Fedora (or
SUSE) I hear is much easier to do as it is actually supported by VMware as a host OS. This insures that I have all the
pre-requisites installed and a system that is actually designed to be a long term, constantly running Linux box.
Frankly I just cannot justify in my mind using a Live CD when there are so many great OS selections that will allow you
to choose your packages individually.

On the flip side I am sure that there are many people on this mailing list who have much more experience with Live CD's
and minimal OS installs than I do. I would like to hear the benefits of putting VMware on a live CD. Who knows, maybe
it is actually much better.

What ever you do I hope you get it up and running quickly and easily,
Caleb