Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: System 32 folder opens during start up
From: Michael Cecil <macecil () comcast net>
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2006 16:07:02 -0600

Sometimes when a program doesn't get uninstalled correctly this can happen from a leftover startup entry in the registry. You might just want to run HijackThis <http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/> which does a pretty good job of scanning and listing all the startup items. Or perhaps use msconfig (can copy it to a W2K machine from an XP one) but it's not as thorough. Harlan Carvey posted a very good list (in Excel) of all the registry startup locations last year on his blog <http://windowsir.blogspot.com/> too.
--
Michael Cecil
macecil () comcast net

EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE
The Norwich University program offers unparalleled Infosec management education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience. Tailor your education to your own professional goals with degree customizations including Emergency Management, Business Continuity Planning, Computer Emergency Response Teams, and Digital Investigations.
http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus