Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

Funny Windows 2k3 Security "Feature"
From: kevinlh () hotmail com
Date: 15 Mar 2006 18:18:20 -0000

I have a mobile unit of servers that are basically file storage for wifi laptops. The people that use the systems want
to push a button and have everything work. Don't want a domain, don't want passwords, just want a central file system
that everyone can rwxd. So I fired up MMC and added Security Analysis and Configuration... and turned on anonymous
access to shares, enabled blank passwords for non-console users, enabled guest, etc. I set guest password blank, and
theoretically i should brose to \\unsecuredserver\sharename and not be prompted for a password right? WRONG! No matter
what combination of Local Sec Policies I set, I am always promted for a password. I was sure there was a way around it,
but none that I have found. I ALWAYS have to type guest, and apparently this is too difficult for some people. <shrug>
Any ideas?

EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE
The Norwich University program offers unparalleled Infosec management
education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience.
Tailor your education to your own professional goals with degree
customizations including Emergency Management, Business Continuity Planning,
Computer Emergency Response Teams, and Digital Investigations.

http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus