Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Funny Windows 2k3 Security "Feature"
From: "Jon Gucinski" <gucinski () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 10:42:45 -0600

allow anonymous logon and network access to the share.  That should
take care of it.

Granted, this is as INsecure as something gets...but hey, its your net.

On 15 Mar 2006 18:18:20 -0000, kevinlh () hotmail com <kevinlh () hotmail com> wrote:
I have a mobile unit of servers that are basically file storage for wifi laptops. The people that use the systems
want to push a button and have everything work. Don't want a domain, don't want passwords, just want a central file
system that everyone can rwxd. So I fired up MMC and added Security Analysis and Configuration... and turned on
anonymous access to shares, enabled blank passwords for non-console users, enabled guest, etc. I set guest password
blank, and theoretically i should brose to \\unsecuredserver\sharename and not be prompted for a password right?
WRONG! No matter what combination of Local Sec Policies I set, I am always promted for a password. I was sure there
was a way around it, but none that I have found. I ALWAYS have to type guest, and apparently this is too difficult
for some people. <shrug> Any ideas?

EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE
The Norwich University program offers unparalleled Infosec management
education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience.
Tailor your education to your own professional goals with degree
customizations including Emergency Management, Business Continuity Planning,
Computer Emergency Response Teams, and Digital Investigations.

http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus