Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Zonealarm+Windows Firewall
From: Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers <bugtraq () planetcobalt net>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 13:56:08 +0100

On 2006-03-01 Goldstein101 wrote:
I noticed that Windows Firewall does not notify me before dynamically
adding new rules to allow traffic through. This concerns me greatly
and I am contemplating turning Windows Firewall off and relying on
Zonealarm. Any comments?

Definitely man. Switch Windows firewall off. ZoneAlarm is a good
product. In my opinion you can rely on him to protect your box. M$oft
is always a bit dodgy when it comes to security.

*sigh*

If you don't trust Microsoft because the are "always a bit dodgy when it
comes to security", then why would you trust some other software that
runs ON TOP OF the operating system of the company that is "always a bit
dodgy when it comes to security"? Am I really the only person who would
consider this approach ridiculous?

The Windows Firewall is perfectly suitable for filtering inbound traffic
(and as of yet has had a lot less holes then Zone Alarm, as I might
add). In addidtion to that it can prevent applications from listening on
ports. That's all any software can do reliably. Filtering outbound
traffic is unreliable no matter what personal firewall vendors claim.
Plus, ZoneAlarm is a resource hog. Stay away from it.

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers
--
"All vulnerabilities deserve a public fear period prior to patches
becoming available."

EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE
The Norwich University program offers unparalleled Infosec management
education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience.
Tailor your education to your own professional goals with degree
customizations including Emergency Management, Business Continuity Planning,
Computer Emergency Response Teams, and Digital Investigations.

http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus