Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: FW: application for an employment
From: Matthias Güntert <MatzeGuentert () gmx de>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 14:55:11 +0100

Hello Matt, list-members,

thank you very much for all your advices. So far I have finished my
application and sent it out _without_ having mentioned anything about my
scanning activities. We will see what's gonna happen. Maybe if I am
getting invited to a job interview I will mention it, or ask them if
they are interested in some demonstration of my skills. This would be
the right time to show off the information leakage.

1) Is what you did to prepare for the interview legal in your country/province?
I suspect it is, since Germany has pretty reasonable InfoSec laws, but you want to be sure.

I am living in Germany and I am no lawyer too, but I don't think that
scanning or information gathering is illegal. Sometimes a lot of
information about the internal network can be found out by simply
reading the 'about us' sections on websites.

Doing something illegal to prep for an interview is a good way to get kicked out.

Yes, this is true for sure. But if the university offers domain-name
services and it's wrong configured to hide the intrant domain names, why
should it be illegal to access those names? I fully agree that it's not
very helpful to use an illegal activity as an argument to get hired.

Thanks again.

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen

                Matthias Güntert