Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Entry Level Certifications
From: Woods_Beau () dkmc org
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 16:04:10 -0500

You can still take the CISSP exam, but you will take it in order to get an
Associate of ISC^2 or something like that.  Then when you have the
relavent experience, you apply to become a CISSP.  It isn't quite as
impressive, but it shows that you at least have the knowledge to pass the
test and may be good enough for some organizations.  Alternately, you
could take the test for SSCP, which is another ISC^2 certification.  There
is a good writeup here of a new DOD list of accepted certifications:
http://taosecurity.blogspot.com/2006/01/dod-directive-8570.html

-----
Beau Woods
Information Security Analyst
DeKalb Medical Center
(404)501-3825
beau_woods () dkmc org

"Matt Bowles" <bowles.matt () gmail com>
03/26/2006 04:31 PM

<security-basics () securityfocus com>
cc

Subject
Entry Level Certifications

I have a question and was hoping that someone could give me some advice on
the next step that I should take.  I graduated college about a year and a
half ago and have been working as a help desk tech for about two years.
During that time, I had taken on many responsibilities that had to do with
information security.  Such as creating domain accounts, access to network
resources, antivirus and patch management etc.  I have read through a lot
of
security material such as:

Wiley and Sons, the CISSP Prep Guide
Penetration Testing and Network Defense by Cisco Press
Managing Cisco Network Security Second Edition by Syngress Books
Numerous websites and security focus mailing lists such as this one and
Pen
Testing and Security management

The trouble for me right now is since I only have two years of experience,
am not eligible to take the CISSP.  It requires a four year degree and
three
years of Information Security experience.  So my main question is, what
would a good certification be that I could take with only two years of
experience?

Any suggestions / comments would be greatly appreciated!

Matt Bowles

EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE
The Norwich University program offers unparalleled Infosec management
education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience.
Tailor your education to your own professional goals with degree
customizations including Emergency Management, Business Continuity
Planning,
Computer Emergency Response Teams, and Digital Investigations.

http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail, including attachments, is for the sole use of the individual(s) to whom it is
addressed, and may contain confidential and privileged information, including HIPAA protected PHI. Any unauthorized
review, use, disclosure, distribution, or reproduction is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please
notify the sender by reply e-mail and destroy this message and its attachments in its entirety.