Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Entry Level Certifications
From: "Clinton Smith" <csmith () worthingtonlibraries org>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 17:34:21 -0500

For entry-level to the industry, I'd recommend CompTIA A+ and/or
Network+:

http://www.comptia.org/certification/default.aspx

They cover the basics you need to know about computers and networking,
and the exams (2 for A+ and 1 for Network+) are much less grueling than
Cisco's or the current batch of Microsoft exams.  Plus, if you work with
MS Windows and want to go for an MCSA
(http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcsa/), having both the A+ and
Network+ under your belt qualifies as a single MCSA Elective exam (so
you'd only have to take the 2 Core Server and 1 Core Client exams).
Considering how difficult MS exams have gotten recently, that's a good
thing.

In my experience, the Cisco exams are around the toughest of all.  You
barely have time to answer all the questions, unless you know the
material so well you can program routers in your sleep (plus, at least
in the one I've taken, you can't go back and review previous questions).
If you want to take Cisco classes without needing a prerequisite, you
could take the Intro to Networking (INTRO) and Interconnecting Cisco
Network Devices (ICND) classes, and their respective exams.  Taking
those two exams will earn you Cisco Certified Network Associate status
(http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/le2/le0/le9/learning_certificatio
n_type_home.html), which is Cisco's entry-level certification.

Does this help?