Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: application for an employment
From: Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers <bugtraq () planetcobalt net>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 13:54:19 +0200

On 2006-03-30 Craddock, Larry wrote:
On 2006-03-29 Craddock, Larry wrote:
That may be how you interpret it but I think they're very analogous.
The point is simple ... no one has any legitimate business checking
the status of the doors and windows on my property and no one has
any legitimate business port scanning someone else's network. What
legitimate reason would I have in port scanning your network? Let me
answer that for you ... absolutely none. At best, my answer would be
curiosity and that doesn't qualify as legitimate.

I'd rather stayed out of this discussion, but since various people
have shown a gross ignorance of the technial realities of the 'net
I'll throw my 2 cent in.

The legitimate reason you have is the simple fact that you don't have
any other option of determining what services are available on a
given host or range of hosts. It's absolutely ridiculous to think
that one would need express permission to find out whether a shop is
open or not. Or if there is a shop in the first place.

Of course if your scan breaks something you may (or may not) be held
liable for that, but that's a different story.

Since other various people have a shown a gross willingness to
obfuscate the obvious intent of port scanning, I'll respond.

The obvious intent of a portscan is "find out what services a host
provides". Nothing more. Nothing less.

When is
the last time you ran a port scan just to make sure someone had a
webserver running instead of just pointing a browser to it?

There are more services to this 'net than just HTTP, y'know. Besides,
there is no real difference between a browser connecting to a port and a
portscanner connecting to a port.

The legitimate way to find whether or not someone is running a service
is to give it a try with a client application.

Run a full blown application to find out whether a host does provide a
service or not? Why would I want to do something that stupid? Besides,
does telnet count as "client application"?

If you don't have a client app that needs to connect to a server
implementing that port then why do you need to connect in the first
place?

Because I'm curious? Because I want to get an overview of what services
are provided on a specific host or in a specific network range, so I can
use them some other time?

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers
--
"All vulnerabilities deserve a public fear period prior to patches
becoming available."

EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE
The Norwich University program offers unparalleled Infosec management
education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience.
Tailor your education to your own professional goals with degree
customizations including Emergency Management, Business Continuity Planning,
Computer Emergency Response Teams, and Digital Investigations.

http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus