Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: any recommendable anti-ddos solution?
From: Dereck Martin <dmartin () packetdrivers com>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 15:55:07 -0700

I would use an IDS to monitor traffic in real time like "snort_inline".  You can then use signatures to detect certain
types of exploits, ddos and such.  When it happens it will auto drop, log, and block the connection.  No more denial of
service attacks from that host =)

For this to work you would setup a transparent bridge between your router and the switch that goes to everything else
inside the network.  It would then run your inline snort and sniff the data coming across the network.  When a
signature triggers that you have specified to be blocked, it will do so.

You can also use a front end like base or acid with a mysql backend to visually see people trying to exploit your
network.  It’s a nice IDS solution.

Search google for stuff like snort inline, Acid and snort, base and snort.  You will find a lot of tutorials.

Dereck Martin
Network Operations Engineer
PacketDrivers IT Outsourcing, LLC
http://www.packetdrivers.com