Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: any recommendable anti-ddos solution?
From: "theog" <theog () theog org>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 13:21:02 +0300

With DDOS you cannot simply block a host, DDOS is originating from lots of
hosts on the internet and with a smart attacker they will also come from
different subnets on different geographic locations, so blocking a host
will not help here.

What more, blocking makes an IPS system and I am not in favor of those, the
reason is quite simple, if an attacker identifies such a system (IPS)
installed on your network, it is even easier to perform an even worse
attack, for example if I know you have an IPS system that denies traffic
from attacking hosts for lets say 30 minutes by IP, I would attack you with
spoofed IPS of various hosts and even attack your system impersonating to
be your DNS server (spoofing behind our DNS server IP address (your ISP's
DNS server) which will cause you system to deny traffic from your DNS
server for 30 minutes thus completely disabling your system.

Liran Cohen
RCT Internet solutions.
http://dir.rct.co.il
http://www.rct.co.il