Hello Habs Fan,
IPCOP supersedes/overcome Smoothwall. IPCOP is more useful because:
1. It is by default very secured.
2. The GUI for monitoring this firewall has improved over the time,
besides its traditional Console access.
3. Also new and new features are added to it, as the version matures.
4. The security patches for IPCOP are released very very regularly and
are always useful.
5. It has fantastic GUI for defining port forwarding. Hence port
management on IPCOP firewall is very easy.
6. IPCOP uses IPTABLES, whereas Smoothwall (v1) uses IPCHAINS.
Smoothwall commercial version uses IPTABLES, but recently the free
edition also ships with
7. IPCOP supports GRE forwarding. This enables us to pass Windows based VPNs
through this box without jumping through hoops.
8. Online documentation is very very verbose, hence helps us to find
solutions if stuck for its management or configuration.
9. Smoothwall advertises more of its commercial version in its free
ware version unlike IPCOP.
Information Security Analyst
On 8/25/07, Habs Fan <habsfan645 () gmail com> wrote:
I would like to read your opinions on 3 open source firewalls. I know
> they are all from the same source base, but over the years the code
has been altered in all 3 of these firewalls.
3. Endian Firewall
If you could explain any experience and or comments in regards to
these firewalls. I would like to install one of them for a SOHO
environment. Are these firewalls secure and robust enough for todays
Thanks for your help.