mailing list archives
Hardware Firewall recommendations (with content filters
From: Scott Warren <sw () shelton org>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2007 11:28:18 -0600
I am researching firewall appliances that have content filters for use
in our school network. the criteria is rather simple but seems hard
- We are a Mac shop so interactions with the OS X are important (web
based admin makes this easy)
- We need to be able to authenticate the user against the firewall via
our LDAP server.
- We would like to have multiple levels of filtering, more open for
staff, more restricted for students, even more restricted for
disciplined students, and no access for anyone not logged in.
- Having an application/script that keeps us logged in to the firewall
rather than just logging in thru the web page (when you apple-Q a web
browser, you are not logged in anymore and your non HTTP internet
traffic gets blocked).
- Realtime reports would also be a plus.
I have taken a look at Barracuda, Sonicwall and Vicomsoft. I am
looking for some other places to check out.
Thanks in advance!!