Home page logo

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Penetration Tester, Network Security Specialist or Computer Forensics
From: anonymous () coward com
Date: 5 Dec 2007 17:31:39 -0000

What's most important is what interests you the most. I would consider penetration testing a part of being a network 
security specialist. Which is what my job is (latter). If you prefer to specialize in something become a penetration 
tester or forensic expert. If you prefer general IT security, then look into a network security specialist.

I've done both types of work and prefer working more breadth then depth. 

However, if you move on and get your masters, that will be more general Information Assurance. You would take specific 
classes and research on what you would want to do in the future. ie. if you're interested in forensics, take a 
forensics class. There may be enough leeway you can take IA classes from multiple disciplines to see if you're 
interested in that particular field.

I received my masters in IA in 2004 from Iowa State. They have a very good IA program, if you have a particular 
university in mind, I would make sure their IA program is a government recognized center of academic excellence. I 
would also definitely check this program out, it payed for my school and jump started my career 
https://www.sfs.opm.gov/. That is if you're interested in federal agency service (its not military).

Not to talk it up too much but here's the list of participating schools.

  By Date           By Thread  

Current thread:
[ Nmap | Sec Tools | Mailing Lists | Site News | About/Contact | Advertising | Privacy ]