Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

Reserved Ports and non-superuser Daemons
From: Arrav <guymor93 () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2007 19:25:54 +0200

Hello,

The book UNIX Socket Programming 3d edition volume one specifies that
in UNIX, ports between 0 - 1023 are reserved ports, and can only be
used by a program running with super user privs.
I know lots of servers are binding to ports beneath 1024, and they
obviously don't have root privileges since this would be stupid
security wise. I also don't believe they have the suid bit on,
because of the same issue.

I wonder if someone could explain that to me.

Thanks,

        Guy.

  By Date           By Thread