Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Discovering network topology
From: "Nhon Yeung" <Nhon.Yeung () cranegroup com au>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 09:10:15 +1100

also look at look () lan and netview

-----Original Message-----
From: listbounce () securityfocus com
[mailto:listbounce () securityfocus com]On Behalf Of Kurt Buff
Sent: Friday, 16 February 2007 2:57 AM
To: Jeremy; security-basics
Subject: Re: Discovering network topology

Jeremy wrote:
Hi list,

  I was wondering if there were special ways to discover networks
topologies / mapping networks.  Are there particular tools or methods I
should be aware of ?  The few tools I tried only gave me approximative
results.  However I think nmap + the standard unix tools can do a good
part of the job.

  Moreover, what are the differences between discovering an
organisation's network from the inside, and from the outside ?
I mean, what are the best practices to discover network equipments,
subnets, VPNs, etc?  I know that traceroute can be a good starting
point, but are there some other tools and techniques I should know ?

Regards,

Try Netdisco - google it. There's even a VMWare appliance of it.

Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifically states
them to be the views of Crane Group

  By Date           By Thread