Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Tracing Threatening Email to an IP Address
From: "Navroz Shariff" <navroz.shariff () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 16:34:52 -0500

You Cisco device performs NAT which is why it does not advertise any
internal addresses.

On 1 Feb 2007 19:42:34 -0000, ka4731 () aol com <ka4731 () aol com> wrote:
My friend and I received a threatening email from an anonymous yahoo account.  We believe this may have come from one of my
friend's coworkers because the header information was traced back as far as the IP address of the Cisco Pix firewall within my
friend's company network.  All emails I receive from my friend have the IP address of his computer within his network.   Why is
it that the anonymous email header doesn't tie me to a computer or work station just like my friend but only shows the IP of the
firewall?

--
"If... the machine of government... is of such a nature that it
requires you to be the agent of injustice to another, then, I say,

- Henry David Thoreau

  By Date           By Thread