Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Changing the domain password policy
From: Mike Devlin <mdevlin () boston com>
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2007 14:17:30 -0500

yes, you are right that if you change the password complexity requirements/minimum length, all the accounts that don't meet the new requirements are fine until their password expires or is forced to rotate. I suppose that if you wanted to be extra safe, you could make a policy just for the service accounts, and have a different set of password requirements for these accounts, and have the default domain policy have the stronger password complexity settings.

                                          - Mike

Gary Collis wrote:
Hi All,

I wish to amend my windows domain policy to include passowrd complexity and minimum length. However I have a bunch of service accounts, of which I do not know all. These passswords are set in AD to not expire. Am I right in thinking that the changes to the domain password policy will not effect the accounts that have this attribute set in AD, until these passwords are actually changed?

How do other people deal with service accounts and their adherence to domain password policys?

Thanks,

  By Date           By Thread