Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: VPN and Security
From: "Murda Mcloud" <murdamcloud () bigpond com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 11:00:04 +1000

VPN is as secure as how well it is implemented and used. Also, the various
encryption algorithms used determine how secure it is. Like everything, it
is as strong as the weakest link and usually in this scenario that means the
home user or their PC.

You're right about the two factor authentication. What were you thinking of
using-smart cards or similar?

Giving home users the list of things they must have in place(AV for example)
is a good idea. Will you allow them to split tunnel from their home
connections or will they have to come through the VPN connection to be able
to browse so that they can still go through your firewall/proxy etc?
Second option is safer but prob slower. And how would you control them when
they're not on a VPN?
Depending on how far you want to go, you could specify that they only use
their laptop for the VPN and have no split and then they can use their home
pc for their own use.