Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Admin rights via backdoors
From: "Scott Ramsdell" <Scott.Ramsdell () cellnet com>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2007 14:39:12 -0500

Hi WALI,

You can setup a netcat listener on any port and instruct it to execute
any executable when the port is knocked.  It will of course inherit the
permissions of the user/service account that launches it.

So, in your specific scenario, the backdoor would contain netcat, open a
listening port and do whatever when knocked.  It would execute with the
rights the financial app has (which likely can read and write sensitive
info).

http://m.nu/program/util/netcat/netcat.html

Check it out, it's pretty cool.

Typically dev and prod environments are separate.  Once the code is
reviewed and approved, it moves out of dev and into the hands of the
admins who install it, then care and feed for the app.  Devs generally
have no rights on prod boxes.

Kind Regards,
Scott Ramsdell