Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

Free Firewallsolution for a Testlab with multiple Networks and VPN
From: <nl () forststrasse27 de>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2007 19:46:16 +0100

Hi,

we have currently a Testlab with a 192.168.1.0 net behind an iptables
Firewall. Remote Acces is currently done  with a ssh-Tunnel to the firewall
and then connecting the machines via remote desktop.

Now the Lab will increase with more net’s and more people accessing it.
(some of them should only be able to reach 2 PC’s via Remote Desktop in
let’s say the 192.168.2.0 net.)

I’d like to do it the following way:
- Give the firewall more networkcards one for each net.
- Enhancing the IPTables (or replace with another free solution) that the
users can connect with Windows L2tP-Ipsec connection to the firewall. (I
don’t want to install vpntools on the clientside).  Depending on the
Username&PW of the VPN connection the Clientpc’s will get different IP’s in
the Testlabnet. User A will get 192.168.1.100 and User B 192.168.2.100.
- For the Users who only should reach 2 PC’s I think it’s sufficient that
they only get Username&PW for the Remote desktop access.

As I am new to that stuff:
Can I do this with Iptables/Linux? What tools will I have to install for the
VPN connection from Windowsclients on the Firewall? Is there a Howto? ;-)

I know with the Astaro Firewall I could do this and I would have a nice &
easy interface.. but iam not allowed to spent money… Is there comparable
freeware?

Thanks for your help!
Regards Tom

  By Date           By Thread