Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: The Value of GIAC/GSEC Certification
From: andrews () rbacomm com
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 16:27:18 -0500

I guess I should add that I have an M.S. in C.S. from Illinois, 20 years experience (mostly in the software development area, C++, etc.) and a fairly senior level position now. I am just transitioning into a full time "Security Guy" working on compliance issues and I want to continue enhancing my career.

I want to weight the value of spending the money and study time to get the GSEC, especially if I attend the SANS Security Essentials course this year. (I may or may not do that, I haven't decided yet.)

I am doing a lot of reading either way. I also purchased the Shon Harris course, so that may ultimately be sufficient.

I am also an overacheiver, but I want to make sure to stay somewhat focused. :)

Brad

Quoting Kim Guldberg <kim () bufferzone dk>:

Ohhhh yes, Big time

CISSP is a broad common body of knowledge certification with no depth
at all. IMHO anybody with 3 weeks time to spend, a reasonable head, a
heart for reading and remembering can pass a CISSP.

GIAC certifications requires knowledge, skill and understanding and has
depth. GIAC certifications are practical as well as theoretical.

A CISSP certification is a foundation certification that will lead to a
entry level job in the IT security industry or a non technical job,
i.e. sales or marketing, unless you have other expert level technical
education in witch case a CISSP will serve as an introduction into an
IT security job

GIAC will lead you to an expert level job, i.e. firewall analyst,
forensic analyst and the likes

  By Date           By Thread