Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: FAX a virus
From: "Scott Ramsdell" <Scott.Ramsdell () cellnet com>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2007 14:33:52 -0500

Alcides,

Others on this list, and especially on the Pen Test list, can speak much
more suitably than I can on this issue, but I will contribute the
following.

This depends entirely on how the input to the "document processing
system" is sanitized.  If the document processing system blindly accepts
user input as valid, then you potentially have an issue.

If the document processing system runs as a service on your Windows
boxes, check to ensure that it launches with an account that does not
have System or Admin rights on the box.

Kind Regards,
Scott Ramsdell