Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: how to block web messenger services
From: krymson () gmail com
Date: 26 Mar 2007 14:09:50 -0000

First of all, make sure you have a policy about IM systems.

Second, be aware that with all the ajax/web 2.0 sites, having a web-based IM service is becoming popular and
widespread. Are you ready to keep up with a new site every week that springs up?

Third, you can try to keep up by blocking those sites by IP or DNS at your firewall or another blocking device. I'd not
prefer this method as it does not scale at all.

Fourth, you will need a web proxy or a web content filtering device (either that proxies all traffic or sees all HTTP
traffic and sends TCP resets to anything unwanted). This is the best bet, but point 2 still applies.

<- snip ->
Hi all ,
i am a security admin,yahoo messenger and other chat services are blocked on our network, but we can access them thru
web(ebuddy) , i wanted to know how can we make sure that these chat services (yahoo messenger, icq, msn messeger )
cannot be accessed through web as well , i mean how to block them.
thanks

  By Date           By Thread