Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: FUD - was FAX a virus
From: "Craig Wright" <cwright () bdosyd com au>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 09:08:24 +1100

Sorry, wrong.

This does not apply. As I stated, even with the best white noise based
error corrections, you can not send a binary as a fax.

You are assuming a binary input. This is the requirement you have
decided to ignore in the paper that you have pointed us to.

The input used to overflow a binary (in this case jpeg) can not be
delived in a fax transmission. The attack is interactive (I suggest that
you read the CERT paper on the issue - I will not attach it as CERT has
a search function). Fax as I did state and as seems to be missed is
non-interactive.

Even in scanning the image, the attack you have mention is a crafted
jpeg designed to overflow the GDI. It is not an image in itself. Please
understand this distincion. It is a crafted binary. A scanned image is
created by the system and not altered after this event.

Please try again. Chin forward. Eyes closed. Waiting...

Craig

PS - you are trying to imply that fuzzing is a valid attack.
http://www.blackhat.com/presentations/bh-jp-05/bh-jp-05-sutton-greene.pd

The fuzzing attack is not valid if you read the details and not a quick
googlised version of the alert you may have discovered this yourself.