Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: FUD - was FAX a virus
From: "Peter Denyer" <Peter.Denyer () interdean com>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 15:05:04 -0000

I'm not a security expert, but my understanding is that the .jpg file
itself has to be specially crafted to take advantage of this
vulnerability, in a fax server the .jpg (if this format is used) is
created locally from an analogue input across normal telephone lines. I
don't believe the situations are analogous as the potential hacker has
insufficient control over the destination file.

Peter Denyer
UK System Support Manager

IMPORTANT: This electronic message is for exclusive use by the person(s)
to whom it is addressed, and may contain information that is
confidential or privileged and exempt from disclosure under applicable
law.  If you are not an intended recipient, please be aware that any
disclosure, dissemination, distribution or copying of this
communication, or the use of its contents, is prohibited.  If you have
received this message in error, please immediately notify me of your
inadvertent receipt and delete this message from all data storage
systems.  Please note this e-mail may not necessarily reflect the views
of Interdean.